Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Style Envy

Fashion bloggers often put on the cloak of omniscience when discussing clothes. We are the master narrators of look and style, analyzing the whys and hows of beauty without faltering.



I am one of those bloggers. However, I freely admit that my closet is full of flaws. In fact, I commit fashion sins at least once a week and consciously at that. I repeat combinations of shirts and jeans, wear shoes until they're creased and punctured, and I don't always stretch my wardrobe as far as I could.

And then I notice the beautiful stylistas on the streets around me, and I say to myself, "One day, "I'll dress like her."

Who is she?

She's sort of like:
Solange - Vibe Vixen

or
Norma Shearer - Tumblr
 -- a woman who dresses with a bold sense of purpose.

In trying to understand the occasional pang of envy I feel when admiring and dissecting others' styles, I'm brought to Julia Cameron's book, The Artist's Way. Here, she discusses envy and how artists should chart a map of sorts to determine the reasons behind their envy. From there they can move forward.

This concept is perfect for thinking about personal style.

On my end - I'm naturally shy and a minimalist at heart, so I tend to wear things requiring little risk-- in rich colors and pretty prints. I'm small-framed, so my style borders on cutesy occasionally. I also wear a lot of black.

At my best, (I'd like to think) I'm in the Audrey Hepburn realm:


I do purchase clothes outside of my comfort zone, but I prefer to admire them from afar--preferably on a hanger in my closet.

And how do you present your public face? Do you envy anyone? Most importantly, why?

Polyvore and Pinterest are great resources for those considering these questions. These sites can help you map your current style and push it further.

The ensemble below is great for shy girls like myself to consider - it demonstrates how to integrate pops of color and zany prints in with pieces you might already own:

Time


or for those on a budget:

Frugal Fashion Forward (spring 2013)


DEPT polka dots top
$65 - welikefashion.com


Jean jacket
delias.com


Vila
$42 - nelly.com



Pieces leather handbag
$74 - nelly.com


Band ring
windsorstore.com



or for those looking to dress more luxe:


You can use sets like these as guides for your own style and build your wardrobe to dress how you've always wanted to.

Yes, I know we shouldn't be too preoccupied with our clothes, although they do reflect our sense of self and current state of mind. Sure, self-hood might be an illusion anyway, but it's an illusion you have the power to shape into anything you want, no matter who you are.

2 comments: