Sunday, September 5, 2010

Updating Momma: 1

So, within this temporally-conscious blog, I've decided to introduce the idea of "updating momma," or a section in which I extend styles worn by women of yore (re: 1980s) into the present. I credit Teen Vogue for inspiring this idea, as they have a section in their mag that does something loosely related to what I aim to do here.

Anyway, let's step into this particular moment in time.

Time: July 1980
Place: Maryland



Observe my mother here in a loose fitting red dress and Jackie-O-esque sunshades. I imagine that she's on her way out to lunch or perhaps has just come back in from a night out with father. Her casual chic style here could easily be transported almost as is into the present moment.

However, one could also update the somewhat baggy cotton garment worn by momma in the following manner:


Very simple

Very simple by Jazz4 featuring a tube dress


I'm not actually a fan of the color red, but I would consider sporting this understated, sheet-like dress and nude-tone shoes (not beige as you see here). I realize I could have went in another (less deconstructed) direction with my interpretation, perhaps, but as you can see here, I've decided to convert mother's residually-70s look into a 2010 hipster fashion-statement. Not quite sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment